JD Welsh Cup Round 3 Round-up
3 December 2016

JD Welsh Cup Round 3 Round-up

JD Welsh Cup Round 3 took centre stage with eleven of the Dafabet Welsh Premier League clubs in action over the weekend, but four were knocked out on Saturday.

Ton Pentre v Bangor City


  • Sunday, 4 December 2016
  • Ynys Park, Ton Pentre, Rhondda
  • Kick off: 3:00pm
  • Live coverage: S4C from 2.45pm, Sgorio Facebook
  • For all Round 3 fixtures click here

JD Welsh Cup Round 3 took centre stage with eleven of the Dafabet Welsh Premier League clubs in action over the weekend, but four were knocked out on Saturday.

Aberystwyth Town 2-0 Holywell Town

The Seasiders booked their place in Sunday's draw thanks to first half goals from Kurtis March in the 32nd minute and Luke Borrelli just before the break (45+1).

Bala Town 6-1 Caldicot Town 

Bala Town came from behind to ease into Round 4 at Maes Tegid. Caldicot Town captain Matt James scored a surprise opener for the Gwent side in the 20th minute, but from then on, it was one-way traffic. 

Lee Hunt equalised in the 23rd minute for the hosts and the striker scored his brace just before the half time whistle.

Hunt scored his hat-trick in the 47th minute, before sub Mark Jones scored with his first kick of the game in the 74th minute. Chris Venables made it 5-1 in the 79th minute and Mike Hayes (83') scored the sixth. 

Caernarfon Town 3-1 Carmarthen Town 

Iwan Williams' Huws Gray Alliance side dumped the Old Gold out at the Oval as striker Jamie Breese scored twice for the Canaries.

Breese gave his side the lead in the 54th minute, but Lewis Harling equalised in the 62nd minute.

Breese restored the hosts' advantage in the 69th minute and Darren Thomas scored an excellent goal in the 73rd minute.

Cardiff Met University 4-0 CPD Porthmadog

The students cruised into the hat for the next round against their Huws Gray Alliance opponents.

A 34th minute penalty from Adam Roscrow gave the students the lead at the Cyncoed Stadium.

There were two goals in as many minutes just before the break with Charlie Corsby scoring in the 43rd and Will Evans in the 44th.

Just two minutes after the interval, Elliot Evans made it 4-0 to the hosts which was the final score in Cardiff.

Gap Connah's Quay 3-2 Goytre Utd

Two injury time goals from skipper Les Davies turned the tie on its head as the Nomads were given a real scare by Lee John's Goytre Utd.

Former Carmarthen Town goalscorer Tim Hicks scored a shock opener for the visitors at the Deeside Stadium in the 44th minute, but Davies restored parity in the 50th minute. 

Another former Welsh Premier League stalwart Dylan Blain restored the visitors advantage in the 54th minute as a shock was on the cards. 

It was a manic end to the game, as Nomads' Tom Field was sent-off in the 88th minute, before Davies equalised in the first minute of injury time and then grabbed a remarkable winner in 90(+5).

Greenfield 0-3 Guilsfield

The visitors' Jake Cook was sent-off in the first half, but defender Robbie James gave ten-man Guilsfield the lead a minute after half-time. Louis Irvine doubled the lead on the hour and Andrew Ford made it 3-0 in the 70th minute.

Haverfordwest County 1-0 Afan Lido

Steffan Williams scored the only goal of the game in the 22nd minute at the Bridge Meadow Stadium and Ben Thomas was shown a second yellow card and sent off for Lido.

Llandudno 0-2 Goytre FC

Alan Morgan's Llandudno are still yet to win a Welsh Cup match as a Welsh Premier League side.

Dumped out by Buckley Town last season in Round 3, the hosts were again beaten by a Level 2 side as Goytre won at Maes Du Park. 

Midfielder Kris Leek gave the visitors the lead in the 12th minute and Dan McDonald made it 2-0 in the 67th minute.

Llanfair United 1-0 Corwen

Huws Gray Alliance side Llanfair took the lead through a 31st minute Paul Griffiths penalty and the spot-kick was enough to beat their visitors from the Welsh National League.

Newtown AFC 0-3 The New Saints

The holders broke the deadlock in the 55th minute as John Routledge scored the game's opening goal and the midfielder scored his second two minutes later. Scott Quigley (78') made it 3-0.

Penybont 4-1 Airbus UK Broughton

Welsh League side Penybont dumped last season's Runners-Up out with a convincing win at the Kymco Stadium. 

Marcus Griffiths gave the hosts the lead after twelve minutes and he doubled the advantage in the 18th minute, before Ryan Fraughan - who won the Welsh Cup with TNS - pulled one back in the 21st minute.

Player/Manager Rhys Griffiths who won the Cup with Llanelli made it 3-1 to the home side in the 55th minute and another Llanelli old boy, Owain Warlow scored two minutes from time.

Prestatyn Town 2-1 Holyhead Hotspur (After Extra-time)

The 2013 Champions progressed following a 117th minute winner from Ben Maher in a tense all-Huws Gray Alliance clash. The Seasiders took the lead through Damien Ketley in the 6th minute but a goal at the death in the 90th minute from Alex Jones sent the game into extra-time.

Rhyl 6-0 Penrhyncoch

A comfortable day at the office for Rhyl manager Niall McGuinnes in his debut JD Welsh Cup tie as Rhyl manager. 

Local lad Rob Hughes scored the opener in the 9th minute and another Denbighshire boy, Zyaac Edwards doubled the lead on 12 minutes with his second goal in as many games.

Carl Lamb made it 3-0 in the 19th minute and Toby Jones scored the fourth in the 39th minute. Rio Ahmadi came off the bench to score twice in the 63rd and 72nd minutes.

Llanelli 5-1 Ynysygerwn (Played on Friday, 2nd December)

Llanelli were the first team to book their place in Round 4 following a 5-1 win over Ynysygerwn on Friday evening. 

The Reds had to come from behind against the village team from the Neath Valley after Mike Evans scored in the ninth minute to send the visitors into a shock lead at Stebonheath.

The Reds responded just before the half hour with Huw Jones equalising as the side’s went in at the break on level terms. Second-half goals from Liam Samuel (56), Luke Morgan (60), Richard Lewis (67) and Lee Trundle (84) ensured a safe passage for Andy Hill’s team into the last sixteen. 

Ton Pentre v Bangor City - Sunday 4th December, 3pm 

The Bulldogs of Ton Pentre welcome Bangor City to their Ynys Park home for the live game of the round on S4C's Sgorio on Sunday. Coverage begins at 2.45pm.

The draw for Round 4 will be live on Clwb 2 programme on Sunday from 17:45.