Ensuring the event is safe and secure
This will be the biggest security operation undertaken in Cardiff with extra officers and staff from all over the country arriving in the area to help us police the event.
South Wales Police and partners are planning ahead to ensure the event is safe and that any potential disruption to local services and impact on local communities and businesses will be minimised
- Road Closures: Security around the event will rely on the safe transportation and accommodation of those involved particularly on Saturday 3 June. As with all major events in the city and for safety reasons, there will also be significant road closures around the City Centre and Cardiff Bay. This will inevitably impact upon traffic and pedestrian flow around the areas being used for the football matches and the Festival.
- Principality Stadium outer security perimeter: Only those with tickets or valid accreditation will be allowed to access the areas adjacent to the Principality Stadium on Saturday 3 June, the day of the UEFA Champions League Final.
- Extra Policing: Normal policing will be maintained and Neighbourhood Officers will continue their daily duties, patrolling the area protecting and reassuring local communities. You can expect to see more police officers and activity in your area providing security around the time of the finals from 1 to 4 June.
- Restrictions on water travel: As part of the security measures in place for the UEFA Champions League finals restrictions will be placed on water travel along the River Taff and inside the Bay area. There has been extensive consultation with all those impacted by these changes which are considered appropriate given the scope of the event
- All emergency services will continue to operate throughout the event. If you have any concerns, talk to your local Officer or call 101 for non-emergencies. In the event of an emergency, always call 999.
South Wales Police is working with its partners on plans to minimise this disruption but at some specific times over the days of the event it is likely to be significant. Nearer the time updated information will be available via this website.