Independent Appeals Panel Chairperson
- Attendance Fee: £250.00 per appointment, plus expenses
The Football Association of Wales (FAW) is the governing body of football in Wales and is responsible for promoting and developing the game at all levels from grass roots through to the professional game, including the Welsh Premier League and all international squads.
The FAW is seeking to recruit independent chairperson(s) to chair its Appeals Panel. The Appeals Panel is the FAW’s Judicial Body of second instance operating under Section E of the Rules of the Association. The Appeals Panel hears appeals by either of the relevant Parties against decisions of the FAW’s Disciplinary Panel (FAW’s Judicial Body of first instance), FAW’s Safeguarding Panel or, in certain circumstances, will hear matters referred to it directly by the Officers of the Association.
The Appeals Panel consists of three (3) persons, two of whom are drawn solely from the Officers and Life Vice-presidents of the Association, with the third person being an independent chairperson who is appointed by the FAW on a case by case basis from a list of independent chairpersons.
- The successful candidate will be required to chair an Appeals Panel hearing when requested and to adjudicate on those matters brought before the Panel.
- Consider the matter and determine the decision taken, with grounds, by the Appeals Panel in a fair and independent way.
- To provide written grounds for a decision.
- Ensure that the Parties before the Appeals Panel are given a fair hearing and the matter conducted in accordance with the Rules of the FAW.
Skills & Competencies
- The individual must be of high standing and probity and be independent of the FAW.
- The individual should possess a sound knowledge of domestic football in Wales as well as association football in general.
- Experience of chairing dispute resolution bodies and of the judicial process, whether sports related or otherwise, is preferable.
- Demonstrate flexibility and the ability to work outside of normal working hours if required.
- Demonstrate attention to detail.
- An ability to independently consider and analyse complex sets of facts.
- Knowledge of the Laws of the Game as prescribed by the International Football Association Board.
- Knowledge of the Rules and Regulations of the FAW.
- The ability to speak Welsh (advantageous).
The position is for a fixed four-year term with Appeals Panel hearings taking place on an ad-hoc basis. The post holder may be required to attend Appeals Panel hearings throughout Wales and will be reimbursed all reasonable expenses agreed in advance by the FAW.
The FAW integrates equality of opportunity into all aspects of its business including appointments.
- Deadline for applications is Monday, 12 August 2019.
- Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- Applications must be supported by a letter detailing why the applicant believes they are a suitable candidate for the post and be accompanied with an up to date curriculum vitae, which should include any current or past involvement in football in Wales.
- Applications should be sent to email@example.com clearly marking the subject of your email: ‘Independent Appeals Panel Chairperson’.