Abergavenny Crowned FAW Trophy Champions
16 April 2016

Abergavenny Crowned FAW Trophy Champions

A Craig Norman goal with just 68 seconds on the clock proved to be decisive as Abergavenny Town beat Sully Sports in a tense FAW Trophy Final at Dragon Park, Newport this afternoon.

Norman broke the offside trap to break through and finish clinically passed the advancing Mathew Davie in the Sully goal.

On the half-hour, Town could have doubled their lead, but Dan Jenkins’ lob over Davie went agonisingly wide of the left upright. Norman had a chance to score his second shortly after, but his piledriver also went wide.

The first chance of the afternoon for Sully came in the 38h minute when Alex Long’s left footed effort from the edge of the box was easily gathered by Tom Indge.

Half-Time Abergavenny Town 1-0 Sully Sports

Sully made two changes at the break and they started the second half the brighter, with a Long header from close range denied by Indge. Left-back Taylor Harding, who has Welsh Premier League experience looked dangerous getting forward and he was disappointed to see his effort from the edge of the box whistle wide of the right upright.

Jenkins had another chance to double the lead, just before the hour, but was denied by Davie with his feet. 

As both manager’s made changes and Sully chased for the equaliser, the game opened up but with Town captain Jamie Summers and man of the match Dafydd Brewer in commanding form at the back, Sully had no answer and were unable to find an equaliser.

Abergavenny were denied in the semi-final stage last year, but were deserved Champions this year as Summers lifted the Trophy in front of a delighted and vocal local support.

Abergavenny Town FC

Tom Indge (GK), Brett Morgan, Jac Evans, Dafydd Brewer, Jamie Summers ©, Aaron Norman (Jamie Laurent), Lewis Jones (Declan Bull), Craig Norman, Dan Jenkins, Dean Morgan, Richard Jeremia

Unused Subs: Owen Vaughan , Rhys Whiteman, Ben Bannon 
Goal: Craig Norman (2’) 
Yellow Cards: Craig Norman, Jamie Summers, Brett Morgan 

Sully Sports FC

Mathew Davie (GK), Wesley Lamb, Taylor Harding, Jacob Constant, Rhys Hopkins, Andrew Townsend (Christopher Rees, 46’), Mark Brown (James Barnett, 46’), Aiden Lewis ©, Kier McInery , Alex Long (Will Gale), Ryan Boyles

Unused Subs: Darren Townsend, Alexander Hales (GK) 
Referee: Iwan Griffith (Conwy)
Assistant Referees: Dan Fogerty (Connah’s Quay), Aaron Jones (Deganwy) 
4th Official: Alex Livesey (Wrexham)