Bosnia edge to victory against Cymru
4 September 2020

Bosnia edge to victory against Cymru

A Sevkija Resic goal was the difference as Cymru U21 fell to an unlucky defeat to Bosnia & Herzegovina in their first game of 2020.

Bosnia & Herzegovina 1-0 Cymru

UEFA Under 21 Championship

  • Qualifying Round Group 9
  • FF BH Football Training Centre, Zenica
  • Friday, 4 September 2020

Manager Paul Bodin started midfielder Terry Taylor and U19 captain Morgan Boyes for their U21 debuts, while Regan Poole returned to captain the side following call ups to Ryan Giggs’ senior squad.

Cymru started brightly and were unlucky not to be in the lead in the first minute after Nathan Broadhead charged down Kovačević's clearance, with the ball landing inches away from the goal. The first half was a physical affair with both sides battling for possession in the middle of the park. Nathan Broadhead’s footwork on the wing caused numerous issues for Bosnia & Herzegovina, who were forced to concede a series of fouls which led to two bookings.

The match opened up in the second half with Cymru asking several questions of the Bosnian back line. Wingers Broadhead and Liam Cullen were ever threatening and, along with full back Aaron Lewis, bombarded the box with a number of crosses which failed to find a Cymru touch. The best chance of the match came to Nathan Broadhead, whose header from a Aaron Lewis cross was unfortunate to land at the goalkeeper’s feet.

The deadlock was broken on the 75th minute, very much against the run of play in the second half. A long ball from the Bosnian down the middle of the pitch bounced through to Sevkija Revic, whose deft finish went to the left of goalkeeper Adam Przybek and inside the far post.

2020-09-04 Bosnia & Herzegovina U21 v Cymru U21 -66.jpg

Several changes by Bodin kept the side fresh as they pushed for an equalizer, including debuts for Luke Jephcott and James Waite. However, Cymru failed to find an equalizer as the game ended with a reverse score line to when the two sides met in Wrexham last November.

Following the match, Paul Bodin said: “We started the game brightly and we took control of the game in both halves. We had some really good chances and we couldn’t get the final touch to put them in the back of the net before the sucker punch at the end of the game. These games are a learning curve and there were definitely positives, despite the result.” 

CYMRU: 12. Adam Przybek, 2. Aaron Lewis, 3. Morgan Boyes, 4. Jack Evans, 5. Regan Poole ©, 6. Brandon Cooper, 7. Liam Cullen (20. James Waite 80’), 8. Robbie Burton (18. Ollie Cooper 80’), 9. Mark Harris (15. Luke Jephcott 80’), 10. Terry Taylor (19. Harry Clifton 82’), 11. Nathan Broadhead (14. Ryan Stirk 82’). Subs not used: 1. George Ratcliffe, 13. Cameron Coxe, 16. Siôn Spence, 17. Joe Lewis.

Yellow cards: Aaron Lewis, Regan Poole, Luke Jephcott