Llangefni shock Llanelli in JD Welsh Cup Third Round
8 December 2018

Llangefni shock Llanelli in JD Welsh Cup Third Round

Llangefni Town of the Welsh Alliance League caused the biggest shock of the afternoon in the Third Round of the JD Welsh Cup Round 3 as they beat JD Welsh Premier League side Llanelli Town 1-0.

The Tier 3 side were full value for the win, causing their visitors problems throughout. The only goal of the game was scored in the 20th minute by Alan Mark Owen, leaving the Anglesey club as the lowest ranked team left in the competition.

That is because Tier 5 Ynysddu Welfare’s Cup dream came to an end following a 3-1 defeat to Cefn Druids. Dean Rittenburg and Matty Owen were both on the scoresheet for the Druids, whilst Lloyd Stone scored the Ynysddu goal.

Holders Connah’s Quay Nomads survived a scare in mid-Wales, coming from 2-0 down at Guilsfield to progress in extra-time. Callum Bromley and Steve Blenkinsopp had both scored in the first half for Guils, but Callum Morris and Michael Bakare levelled in the second half for Andy Morrison’s side. Michael Wilde and Ryan Wignall then both notched in extra time to ensure the Nomads progressed.

Rhyl came from behind to claim an upset at Latham Park as the Lilywhites beat Newtown 2-1. Neil Mitchell scored on 23 minutes for hosts, but second half goals from former Robins forward Gareth Partridge and an Aaron Hassall winner secured the win for Gareth Wilson’s side.

Cambrian & Clydach Vale, who have already reached the Nathaniel MG Cup Final in January, added to their cup exploits after coming from behind to win 2-1 at Denbigh Town. Mark Crutch and Corey Shephard both scoring with less than five minutes to go after Pat Hinchcliffe had put Denbigh in front early on.

Llandudno avoided a potential banana skin as they put their poor League form behind them to record a good 3-2 win at Tier 2 Briton Ferry Llansawel. Two goals from Marc Connolly and one from George Harry secured the win for Iwan Williams’ side.

Both Carmarthen Town and The New Saints enjoyed comfortable 3-0 away wins at Welsh League opposition.  The Old Gold beat Goytre with Luke Bowen (2) and Liam Thomas scoring, whilst the Saints beat Cwmbran Celtic thanks to a Chris Seargeant hat-trick.

Cardiff Met University came from behind to see off the Ton Pentre challenge at Ynys Park. Lee Price gave the Rhondda Bulldogs an early lead, but Kyle McCarthy, Elliot Evans, Harry Owen and Sam Snaith all scored for the students.

Last season’s runners-up Aberystwyth Town came out on top in a seven-goal thriller at Cwmamman Utd. Ashley Ruane netted a Welsh Cup hat-trick and Rio Ahmadi struck a volley to seal the Seasiders’ win at Grenig Park.

The game at Cae-y-Castell between Flint Town United and Bala Town was abandoned with only four minutes played due to a partial floodlight failure. Bala were winning 1-0 at the time thanks to Kieran Smith's goal in the opening minute. The tie has been reschedule for this coming Tuesday (11th) at 7.45pm. 

The only match to go to penalties saw high-flying Airbus UK Broughton come from behind to beat Porthmadog 4-2 in the shootout. The game finished 1-1 after Julian Williams scored the opener for the visitors, but Lewis Buckley equalised for Airbus on 76 minutes. Jay Gibbs was sent off for Port in the 89th minute, but despite holding on with ten men in extra-time, Craig Papyrnik’s side were defeated in the spot-kicks.

Haverfordwest County beat fellow-Welsh League side Pontypridd Town 3-0 with the Round 2 Player of the Round Ben Fawcett scoring the opener, which was followed up by goals from Elliott Scotcher and Ashley Bevan.

On Friday evening, Bangor City, Barry Town Utd and Caernarfon Town all booked their places in Monday evening’s draw, which takes place on S4C’s Heno programme from 7pm.