Quigley and Brobbel make wingmakers pay as TNS secure historic double-treble
2 May 2016

Quigley and Brobbel make wingmakers pay as TNS secure historic double-treble

The New Saints defeat Airbus UK Broughton in the 129th JD Welsh Cup Final.

JD Welsh Cup Final 
Monday, 2 May 2016 
The Racecourse Ground, Wrexham

The New Saints secured their sixth JD Welsh Cup trophy and an unprecedented Double-Treble of Welsh Football’s major honours as they beat first-time finalists Airbus UK Broughton 2-0 in font of a buoyant crowd at The Glyndwr University Racecourse Stadium in Wrexham.

Airbus performed very well throughout the game and should have got themselves on the scoresheet with the amount of chances they created, whilst creating numerous problems for the Dafabet Welsh Premier League Champions with their pressing game and impressive levels of energy, but Ryan Brobbel and Scott Quigley scored the crucial goals for Craig Harrison’s men.

The Saints took some time to notch their first real chance of the game, although their semi-final hat-trick hero Quigley was frequently looking to break clear in transition.

Quigley and Ryan Brobbel were unable to find the target as they both struck efforts for TNS in an opening twenty minutes that were very much dominated by The Wingmakers.

Airbus pressed The New Saints very high in the opening quarter of the match, with Tony Gray making a nuisance of himself in midfield and frequently venturing forward to join a Wingmakers attack that was constantly looking for an opening on the break.

Chris Budrys went close for Andy Preece’s side on two occasions, as Airbus were very much in the ascendency early-on, before Craig Harrison’s league champions took the lead against the run of play with just over half an hour gone.

1,402 fans watched The Saints take another step towards history as Chris Seargeant, Aeron Edwards and Ryan Brobbel combined excellently to create the goal that put TNS moved closer to an historic double-treble.

Seargeant’s corner was met at the back of the six-yard box by Edwards; he headed the ball down into the path of Brobbel, who turned on the spot to wrap his foot around the ball and beat James Coates on the volley from a tight angle and give TNS the lead.

James Murphy and Ian Kearney had chances for Airbus either side of half-time, but neither were able to capitalise on what was a very strong all-round performance from Airbus and give their side the goal they deserved.


The Saints’ dream of double-treble glory looked very much like becoming a reality after 50 minutes of play, as the holders went and doubled their lead with a well-worked counter-attacking move, using the width of the large Glyndwr University Stadium pitch to their advantage.

Cieslewicz, who notched a hat-trick last weekend against MBI Llandudno, broke for The Saints down the right flank, before cutting inside and getting a shot away, only for an Airbus defender to block the shot.

Unfortunately for The Wingmakers, Lady Luck didn’t appear to have blessed them as the blocked shot was deflected across the box and into the path of TNS’ 23-year-old striker, Quigley, who lashed home for his 5th goal of this year’s competition to give The Saints a 2-0 lead.

Despite being two goals behind, Airbus were still very much in the game and continued to show great energy while shading possession and creating chances early-on in the second half, especially through their captain Ian Kearney, who forced an impressive low save out of Harrison with an hour gone.

Coates was impressive between the sticks at the other end of the pitch too, as Mike Wilde’s introduction for TNS saw Quigley and Cieslewicz force fantastic saves out of the Airbus stoppers after creating great chances to further increase The Saints’ lead in transition.

Saints substitute Mike Wilde went very close to increasing the holders’ lead in the closing stages of the game, but he could only blast his shot over from just inside the six-yard box – his miss mattered little however, as the full-time whistle was soon blown, ensuring that Craig Harrison’s TNS would secure an historic double-treble and a sixth JD Welsh Cup crown.