Wales U17s suffer second friendly defeat against Scotland
22 September 2017

Wales U17s suffer second friendly defeat against Scotland


  • Friday, 22 September 2017
  • Stebonheath Park, Llanelli
  • Friendly

A goal in each half from Dean Campbell and Gregor Donald earned Scotland U17s a second 2-0 victory over Wales U17s on Friday in Llanelli.

Manager Robert Page made six changes to his starting line-up as his side continued their preparations for the upcoming UEFA qualifiers, while Scotland also made a similar string of changes following their victory on Wednesday as both teams looked to give their respective squads maximum game time.

A decent crowd welcomed the two teams on to the field on Friday lunchtime, and it was Wales that forced the early pressure with captain Ryan Astley shooting over from close range from a corner in the opening exchanges. Scotland quickly responded and it was Taylor Wilson that almost put his side ahead after six minutes but also failed to hit the target from close range.

Wales continued to enjoy the better possession and created further chances as Sam Parsons, Michael Ellery and Jack Vale all went close to opening the scoring. However, Scotland settled into the half by the midway point, and Connor McBride was unlucky to hit the target with a shot from the edge of the area that rolled narrowly past goalkeeper Luke Burton's left-hand post.

Scotland ended the opening half the stronger of the two sides, with towering striker Aaron Pressley firing wide after 32 minutes. However, it was Joshua McPake who created a chance for himself as he twisted and turned in the Wales area before being denied by the post. The half ended with Scotland taken the lead from the penalty spot through Dean Campbell following a foul on Aiden Fitzpatrick in the area by Astley.

On 51 minutes Wales midfielder Josh Hosie tried his luck from range but his effort narrowly cleared goalkeeper Archie Mair's crossbar. At the other end, McPake had his effort blocked as Scotland once again started to control proceedings, but the Wales defence remained firm and prevented the visitors from extending their advantage as both sides made a number of changes.

Dan Griffiths twice came close to bringing Wales back into the match on the hour as the home side responded Scotland's period of possession. However, Gregor Donald ended the match in spectacular style as the Scottish full-back's cross into the area drifted towards goal and looped over Burton from way out on the left touchline to double their lead in the final few minutes.

The visitors comfortably maintained their advantage before referee Ben Williams brought the match to a close, and with it confirm a second victory over Wales for Brian McLaughlin's side.

WALES: Burton, Ellery, Astley, Bowen, Griffiths, Vale, Hosie, Davies, Watts, Evans, Parsons.

SCOTLAND: Mullen, Hamilton, Donald, Campbell, Wilson, Erhahon, McPake, Fitzpatrick, Ross, Pressley, McBride.